Thinking Clearly About Health Care
Well, now the hard part. If we want to limit government, we need to first repeal Obamacare and then start taking steps to restore freedom to medicine. The challenge is that most Americans do not want freedom in medicine. That’s what we need to try to change.
Here’s one thing you can do right now: educate yourself. The better you understand the health care issue, the more powerful an advocate for freedom in medicine you’ll be.
Here are some recommended resources:
What’s wrong with the individual mandate?
- “The Irresponsible Individual Mandate” by Don Watkins and Yaron Brook
What should we do about pre-existing conditions?
- “The Road to Socialized Medicine Is Paved with Preexisting Conditions” by Don Watkins and Yaron Brook
Why are health care costs spiraling out of control?
- “The Problem With Our Health Care Debate” by Alex Epstein
- “The Real Problem With Health Care. . .And The Real Solution” by Yaron Brook
How is government interfering with the practice of medicine?
- “Medicine: The Death of a Profession” by Leonard Peikoff
- “Prescription Drug Benefits Violate the Rights of Drug Companies” by Onkar Ghate
- “In Defense of Health Insurance Discrimination” by Don Watkins
Why is it wrong for the government to guarantee people “free” health care?
- “Health Care Is Not a Right” by Leonard Peikoff (video here)
- “No Right to ‘Free’ Health Care” by Onkar Ghate
- “What’s Wrong With Free Health Care?” by Yaron Brook (video)
- “Should the Supreme Court Overturn Obamacare?” by Yaron Brook (video)
What does the Constitution say about government’s role in health care?
- “‘The Constitution of Ayn Rand’?” by Thomas Bowden
- “What to Expect from the Obamacare Litigation” by Thomas Bowden
- “Nancy Pelosi vs. The Founding Fathers” by Alex Epstein
How can we win the debate over health care?
- “Capturing the Moral High Ground: Why Only Private Health Care Is Moral” by Yaron Brook (video)
- “You Are Not Your Brother’s Health Care Provider” by Yaron Brook (video)
- “You Are Not Your Brother’s Health Care Provider” (an earlier and lengthier version of the previous talk) by Yaron Brook (video)